Friday, February 28, 2014

OBSESSIONS AND GOALS



During November my NANO project was a prequel to the murder trilogy Murder, Madness & Love, Memories of Murder, and Obsession to Murder, and to accomplish it, I stepped away from blogging, commenting, and online networking. But because I hadn't sent book 3, Obsession to Murder, off for its first edit I felt I was working on the wrong project and stopped NANO to give Obsession to Murder what I thought was the final go through before editing. 

My goal for Misha Gericke's DO YOU HAVE A GOAL? was to finish Obsession to Murder by the end of 2013. I knew it needed a bit of tweaking but to my surprise, it has become a major REWRITE, and a better story because of it.

I'm thrilled with what I've accomplished but surprised by the time that it's taken. Yes, it has interfered with blogging and other online networking, but I'm thrilled with the way the story has developed and offer no apologies for my lack of blogging / hopping, commenting, or FB and Twitter participation. (Gary via Penny gave me permission!)

I see the completion of the trilogy as the icing on my writing cake, and when completed it will be TO - DIE - FOR - DELICIOUS! 

Thank you, everyone, for your continued support! 

And for Celebrate the Small Things blog hop - writing daily is my celebration.

*****



You're more than welcome to join this bloghop. All you need to do is read and follow the guidelines.

1) Beth and Misha are the co-hosts.

2) If you do enter your link into the list, please be supportive of the other entrants.

3) Keep us up to date with how you're doing. Update Day is on the last Friday of every month. Even if you don't think you achieved much or anything, write a quick post to say so. We can't encourage if we don't know.

4) When you enter your blog's address write your goal as the link title. For example, my link's title will be "earn $7500 per month." Not your name or your blog's. This is so we can keep track of who's doing what. AND it will serve as an easy indication of the fact that you're not the only crazy one.

5) Please please please spread the word! I know this is nuts, but I know a lot of people need encouragement, and making a decision and figuring out how to get there is half the battle...

Who else has a crazy goal? 

If you do, complete the following:
I WANT TO...


***** *****
The winner of an ebook copy of 
The Murder House 
is  
SUSAN FLETT SWIDERSKI

Congratulations Susan!


30 comments:

  1. I had a writing goal for 2014 - write submit 4 short stories - but I got sidetracked with a new job, trainings, buying a house . . life.

    I hope you are meeting your goal Yolanda.

    ......dhole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, life, I know what you mean - it's playing havoc with my goals right now, as usual, and something had to give - like you, for me it was blogging, but it's the writing that's my salvation!

      Okay, enough talk - back to it!

      Delete
  2. Finishing the book is more important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, especially as it's a trilogy. Haven't read the first two yet, but under the circumstances, maybe that's good so I won't be waiting for the third one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame Jo, as each book is a stand alone novel. It's a trilogy in that the same characters are in all of them, but each story has a beginning, middle, and end! If I never finish book 3 - no one will miss it, except of course me, as the story does continue. Maybe my mistake was calling it a trilogy - should have said series. Except I thought I'd stop at three - only time will tell!

      Delete
  4. If the story is rocking along well, don't apologize!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The story is rocking along well! Thank you - no apology given.

      Delete
  5. I know that feeling. I started a rewrite at the beginning of the month, thinking it'll take me three weeks or so.

    But I unraveled the whole thing, and now I have to draft it again, so fatal was the flaw in my story. Sigh.

    Congrats on finishing the rewrite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to know I'm not the only one Misha! I don't understand writing one sentence, one paragraph, or one story - and never changing it. My first draft - is never the final one. Sometimes the second one isn't either. LOL

      Delete
  6. Yolanda, I think we sometimes forget that writing the books is our main goal and one of the main reasons any writer has an online persona.

    We start networking and blogging to build up a name for ourselves and create a readership platform. Blogging teaches us a lot about being in the public eye, writing to deadlines, creating interesting bits for people, and we learn a lot about the craft from blogging community. It also helps lose the feeling of self consciousness.

    First and foremost, an author's job is to write.That's not to say we stop blogging but a smart person knows they have to prioritize time to accomplish the main goal. It's all too easy to get caught up in the daily grind of blog writing visiting blogs. Yes, we make some nice connections and some good friends, yes we want to stay in touch, but it also eats an enormous amount of time and energy that now needs to be focused elsewhere. So you're going to have to streamline with the first priority being your writing and that means major pulling back during critical times--like when you have 20 pages of revisions from your editor and with a deadline.

    Most successful authors I know realized with their first contract they'd have to pull back and sit their butt in the chair and get the book ready for release and start working on the next book as well. They have to coordinate an intense publicity period of a couple of months around each book's release (30 days before and 30 days after) and still finish the nuts and bolts of writing the next book. If they were blogging 3 or 4 times a week they certainly aren't doing that schedule now. They're lucky if they can blog weekly. And many of these also have day jobs and families.

    So, you do what you have to do, ma'am. Glad you got this one revised!

    Sia McKye Over Coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sia, well said, and right on the nose. And I hate to admit it, but I love this part. Even when I spend 12 hours writing - and the next day change everything about it. I do miss the online gossip, but solving a plot twist is just too cool! Thanks! I do appreciate the understanding and patience of my fellow bloggers / writers!

      Delete
  7. Yolanda, finished reading Murder, Madness, and Love. You had me hooked on the first page. A major rewrite I understand. I had to do the same. Procrastinating with social media can get in the way of our goals. Good Luck with your rewrite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathrina, thank you! Your review is so appreciated! And social media is just that a way to procrastinate, such as now while I answer each of these wonderful comments! LOL

      Delete
  8. Finish away at your bay, my goal hmmm have a few, we shall see if they come due

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything in its own time! Hard work at your bay - always!

      Delete
  9. I've been a horrible blogger lately. It's hard to both write and blog. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, thank you for understanding!

      Delete
  10. Congrats on the Nano Yolanda! The blog hop is magic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Yolanda,

    I shall keep this comment mercifully short. Your priority was to concentrate on your book. This is the positive focus for you. Blogging, blog hops, blog fests NaNo thingy ma jiggies and the dreaded alphabet challenge, can be set to one side. You do well, my dear friend.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gary, working hard, but I do miss all the fun. Be well, and I'll try hard not to miss your blog! It's always inspiring!

      Delete
  12. If your goal for 2014 is to finish book 3 and first draft of the prequel, then sounds like you are well on the way to cracking that goal. Well done you! And everything else is just a secondary distraction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is, even the birthday celebration for my youngest is a distraction, but so very important. A small break never hurts, but now it's back to the finishing!

      Delete
  13. Hooray!! It's great to read that you are so happy with the story, congrats! I had to laugh that Gary and Penny gave you permission, LOL. I laugh every time I see Gary posting about the dreaded apology for not blogging. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Julie, how is your sequel coming. Such fun! Oh yes, Gary and Penny my conscious, and too, too funny!

      Delete
  14. Congratulations on the great rewrite!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Yolanda, I'm the first to admit how time consuming blogging is and I know I'd be a lot further advanced if I just quit, but I can't. Have missed you, but excited to see how great your rewrites have turned out. Go you!! Can't wait to have Book No 3 in my hot little hands. (I take it you're not doing the A-Z this year? That's truly murder on the writing schedule.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  16. So great that your rewrites have turned out well. My writing suffers greatly because of my blogging and other commitments.

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You inspire me! I love that you gave your MS an overhaul. It reminds me to keep going!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you, say hello and leave your blog address - I'll visit, but please take with you my undying gratitude that you stopped by for a read. Be well, be happy, and may your blog surfing bring you joy!