Friday, March 28, 2014

NUMBER 1711 - A TO Z



Misha Gericke and her blog hop Do You Have A Goal is for the goal oriented and the non goal oriented. For folks who want to face their challenges, it's all about staying on track and achieving your dreams. Where are you 3 months into this New Year? On Misha's list, my goal shows up as # 11 finish book 3 and the first draft of the prequel in 2014.


Taking time away from the internet to concentrate on writing has been wonderful. While I missed my friends and the goings on in the virtual world I've enjoyed getting back to reality, despite all its inescapable problems. I've been trying to decide whether social networking is the key to success, and obviously, for some it is – for me, not so much. I'm simply not good at it – and to be honest I was never good at it!

Friendship has always been hard for me – I'm not a trusting person, no, that's not true. I'm a very trusting person, and it always comes back to bite me in the ass, it's why I'm terrified of 'being real' in a virtual world where judgment / bullying is even harsher because folks can hide behind their powerful machines. Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words have literally destroyed my soul. In other words, been there and done that – don't want to do it again. (Life is just too short!)


               
I still haven't finished book 3,  Murder & Obsession mainly because I've rewritten every other word in my effort to make the plot action packed and un-put-down-able, (I know a poorly made up phrase) but un-put-down-able is something I consider a must when writing a suspenseful novel. Despite allegations that perfection is impossible – it's still a goal I strive to reach. (Another of my fatal flaws)


Another goal this year and last was to finish a short story for publication. A way to entice readers to my books. An experiment for sure, but marketing is always on my mind. Finding the key to success is a constant search. Therefore, The Snowman, it's the first case of Detective Steven Quaid, my murder trilogy's main character. The Snowman is mentioned in both books, and seemed like the best way to introduce Steven Quaid to new readers. I'm hoping to publish several of Quaid's cases this year and if you want to read the introduction to The Snowman, you can find it here – Murderous Imaginings another blog I've created. Oops, did I say I was pulling back from the online stuff? Who knows, I'm also an ambitious person, foolishly so. (Is that yet another fatal flaw?)


               
The first draft of The Snowman is finished and ready for the various stages of editing, first with the procedural experts and then the writing/editing experts. This is exactly where I had hoped to be today, with Murder & Obsession, but one thing I've found out about myself and my writing – I can't rush it – and until I'm 100% satisfied, the book will not leave what I call rough draft mode.


I am enjoying the process, and each time a new plot twist presents itself I'm blown away. For example while writing The Snowman, a 6000 word story that took 12 hours, and one sitting. I realized that the some of the key elements from my short story should appear in book 3, Murder & Obsession, and that was a twist I wasn't expecting. This writing thing is fun and truly awesome. (Is it all right to surprise yourself?)


               
I have finally decided to participate in the A to Z challenge, but knew that unless I could find a subject, and prepare all the postings for pre-publication before April 1, that I would not sign up. I began this process last August, but my book took precedence. And even though I was able to come up with three different subjects, and put together a working list of A to Z titles, which I am proud of, it made me think I could actually post two different blogs for the challenge, but I'm just not that good. I bow to all of you that are though! Awesome - you are to be commended!

For the A to Z challenge I'm posting to Murderous Imaginings, my newest blog and the subject is murder, of course.  Please check it out HERE!

 I'm late, my is number 1711, but I made it!



I missed all of you and look forward to catching up, but writing is my ultimate goal and will remain at the top of my list. Says the lady who now has three blogs, really, what was I thinking? 
Thank you for your continued support, it means the world! 


Happy Spring everyone!


35 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Nilanjana, so glad we've reconnected!

      Delete
  2. I'm overly trusting, too. And it has also bit me in the ass.

    Good luck with the A to Z. I don't know how some people do it with multiple blogs either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Diane, I think a lot of writers, introverts are, it is so hard to break out of that shell and then when you do - SLAM! Oh well, alligator skin, right! LOL

      And yes, multiple A to Z blogs, amazing!

      Delete
  3. Thankfully it takes a lot to earn my trust, but I have been burned a time or two as well. Oh well life shall go on. Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat, it is smart to always be cautious.

      Delete
  4. I think it's part of the passage through life to trust and be burned. It happens to all of us.

    Good luck with finishing your book Yolanda.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jo, and so true, life without conflict is existence at its worst!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are very busy. Sounds to me like you're making progress, keep it up. Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathrina! Progress one word at a time!

      Delete
  7. I've been kicked in the chops more than a time or two, but I still let down my guard and offer my chin for further abuse. Sometimes, I'm even foolish enough to do it with people who've already done me dirty, as they say. Oh well. I'm too old to change my ways now. I like people, pure and simple. Most of the time it works out great, so I'll keep on keeping on.

    And yes, I think it's more than all right when your writing surprises and delights you. It's great, because those joyful ah-ha moments provide the impetus we need to keep on writing. And bravo to you for not rushing your work. Better to produce the kind of quality that you demand of yourself than to rush through the process to meet a self-imposed deadline.

    Have fun with the A-Z!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Susan, it's my own fault and I know it, but here in the virtual world it's really not worth the effort. I do enjoy the writing, but not the marketing and still I will push through to try and find a happy medium. Enjoy your break - so necessary - so renewing!

      Delete
  8. YOU are so right-lots of surprises! I will definitely check it out-you are ambitious! I hope to turn the corner soon-as I am getting a room of my own-my son moved out. Daughter was going to move in-then changed her mind. My fatal flaw might be talking to long to plan the arrangement..better be quick before she changes her mind! I am happy you are so busy and doing well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ella, sometimes to my own detriment. Oh, I would love an office of my own, in fact the weather is getting warm so I'll move mine out to the sun porch - that will be inspiring - getting out of this cave! Busy is always good!

      Delete
  9. Hi Yolanda, well didn't you come back with a vengeance. I'll come by to read some of your April posts. I didn't cave in to the pressure, so will continue to post once a week, even if no one bothers visiting. Ah, such a rebel...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably biting off more than I can chew, but thought I should get back to some sort of marketing for all this writing I'm doing. We'll see how it turns out and if I can get a post or two up here too! The true test!

      Delete
  10. Yolanda, you are my ambitious hero! You do so much and from what I can tell, you do the networking and relationship-building very well. Have fun with A-Z. It would make me crazy to participate, so I won't, but I'll have fun jumping around reading posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie you give me way too much credit, but thank you. It's not for a lack of trying. I take my inspiration from everyone I've met here, and just keep plugging away!

      Delete
  11. Yolanda, I have to tell you... I love this post. It describes my frame of mind to a tee. This is me, wondering how I can ever keep up, overwhelmed by all the marketing and self-promotion necessary, and then unsure whether it means anything in the end. And I too, cherish my online friends. I can't imagine life without you all. It just seems so difficult sometimes to keep up. Someone asked a friend today how she manages with all the demands on her life. I didn't have to hear her answer. I knew what she would say, "You just do".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoyLene, thank you, sometimes we think we're the only ones barely keeping our head above water, and it's so nice to know we aren't! Nothing about this is easy but the support we receive from one another makes it all worth the effort! Take a deep breath and keep paddling!

      Delete
  12. Ugh, I know what you mean! It's hard to social network. There are some people who seem to always be so "on." The social butterflies who make it all look easy. It's not that I'm anti-social really, but I find it difficult to know what to post on Twitter or Facebook. I can share what I find on the web and I can retweet. As for talking about myself... I'd rather talk about my characters. I've always read that people love to talk about themselves, but I'm not sure that's.... wait... was I just talking about myself here? Hmm. Alright, I can talk about myself as I relate to what someone else has going on. Not sure if that makes for great social media though. :\

    Anyway. Happy goal reaching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, J. Lenni, I too can get into the conversation, but find it hard to get them started, especially on twitter and FB. I'm amazed at the ease others find it to be and the success some of the posts generate in the way of comments. I just seem to do it all wrong. LOL Stepping out has never been my thing - sitting back and observing. Now that's fun! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  13. Hey Yolanda,

    Oh, I have a goal. My goal is to get rid of blog hops and blog fests and that darned alphabet challenge! Arggghhhh!!!!! :)

    Friendship can be difficult when you may have been let down by someone you thought was your friend. You find out who your real friends are when you go through your toughest of times.

    I'm heartened to know that the writing process has seen you more upbeat. You continue to embrace your passion for the written word. This makes me proud of you, Yolanda.

    I basically use social media to promote others. It makes me feel good. And, have fun with your theme for the ahem, A to Z.....

    Please continue to look after YOU. Penny says "arf!" to Pennsylvania Patches! :)

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gary, I sort of hope you achieve your goal. LOL Writing is my passion, and yours seems be lo to promote others, some of us are amazed by your undying support and love it! You do for us what we can't seem to, or find very hard to do! THANK YOU!

      arf from patches to penny!

      Delete
  14. Hi, Yolanda,

    I'VE MISSED YOU!!!!! I was going though so much these past few months with my eyes I never got to keep up with you. I know you were writing, but I would've like to send you a note or two of encouragement.

    Looks like you didn't need it! CONGRATS on all your ambitious projects. I am so happy and proud of you. And YAY for the A-Z! I decided to do it also. Reusing my theme from last year. You know me and my intros, lol. SO many amazing books I'll be able to feature.

    I have a bit of news. I finished my second novel ... YAY! I was wondering if you had any free time to read it. My editor wants me to send it to a few choice people that haven't read it yet, and I thought of you right away. I'll understand if you don't have the time... no worries. But I would love your opinion.

    Let me know.

    Otherwise, the old eyes are better THANK GOD....

    BIG HUGS To you.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, how lucky for your A to Z participants, your artful intro's are to die for! I've missed you too, but yes, please send your book I would be honored to read it! So glad your eyes are better!
      Hugs to you too!

      Delete
  15. You and I still have some figuring out about social media and "what works". But first April. Glad you'll be joining the party!

    Lee
    Wrote By Rote
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arlee, especially after reading some of the more recent posts about social networking, yes, I'm still on the search for the key! Glad to be part of the A to Z fun!

      Delete
  16. I'm doing the A to Z as well ... and this year it freaks me out! ;) I might even fail, who knows. But I'll give it a red hot go!

    Sounds to me like you're making good progress with your writing. And I know that perfectionist feeling all too well ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trisha, I'm sure you'll do fine, have fun with it and don't stress. I'll be checking in with you! Perfectionism is a disease, isn't it?

      Delete
  17. Good luck with the A-Z challenge and with your writing goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ruthi, it looks like a great spring ahead!

      Delete
  18. Oh, The Snowman sounds like such a great story! I can't wait to read it. And I'm so with you on social media. I love blogging, but the rest just doesn't come naturally to me at all. I try, but I really do suck at it.
    How exciting that you have a new blog! Going over to check it out now and make sure I'm following you for the A-Z. Great to see you back, Yolanda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Julie, Thanks! I know one author who had 10,000 friends on myspace several years ago, I don't know how she did it but she was soon pulling down $100,000 a year with her books. Kudos to her, she's so good at the SN and she's a prolific writer - the two go hand in hand for success! Me, I'm a slow writer and an introvert extraordinaire - not a good combination! LOL

      Delete
  19. Sounds like you're making great progress, though! Best of luck with finishing both projects. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you, say hello and leave your blog address - I'll visit, but please take with you my undying gratitude that you stopped by for a read. Be well, be happy, and may your blog surfing bring you joy!